History of the Rathmines RAAF Flying Boat Base

After the war

After the War, RAAF Station Rathmines continued to serve, albeit in a lesser capacity as in 1946 both the No. 3 Operational Training Unit and the No. 2 Flying Boat Repair Depot disbanded.

In 1947 the Base was renamed “Search and Rescue Wing” and personnel from 112 and 114 Air Sea Rescue and personnel from RAAF Station Port Moresby were posted to Rathmines.

In 1948 the base again was renamed to No. 11 (GR) Squadron before returning to being known as RAAF Station Rathmines in 1950.

RAAF Station Rathmines ceased function in November 1952 and was disbanded in December 1952, with the Officers Training School absorbing the base services and Marine Section, and assuming control of all RAAF owned property.

In 1956, the RAAF School of Technical Training Detachments ‘A’ and ‘C’ became lodger units and the RAAF School of Ground Training was formed as a separate unit under the control of the commanding officer.

Under instructions Rathmines was reorganised with the Officers Training School, Base Flight and Officers Training Flight retaining previous functions but along with No. 2 National Service Training Wing became separate units.

This was absorbed again into No. 1 Recruit Training Unit in 1958 when the unit moved from Richmond to Rathmines; however when the unit relocated to Wagga Wagga in November 1960, the base ceased function. Rathmines was disbanded in January 1961.