History of the Rathmines RAAF Flying Boat Base

No. 2 Flying Boat Repair Depot

During their wartime duration, many Flying Boats, with their crewmen and ground staff, which departed from Rathmines, returned for repairs or scrapping for parts as a last resort.

No. 2 Flying Boat repair Depot was formed in February 1943, the function of the unit was to overhaul and repair flying boats, seaplanes and amphibious aircraft and components.

The unit was disbanded after the war in April 1946.

However during its service it overhauled and repaired several aircraft including Supermarine Walrus’, Supermarine Seagull V’s, Douglas Dolphins, PBY Catalinas, Voight-Sikorsky Kingfishers and Dornier Do.24Ks.