History of the Rathmines RAAF Flying Boat Base

No. 40 Squadron

During the war a series of squadrons were set up which were to operate covertly along the east coast of Australia up to the islands. They were formed from the nucleus of other squadrons including No. 9 Squadron and No. 11 Squadron. Rathmines trained the majority of the men who filtered through into No. 40, 41 and 43 Squadrons.

No. 40 Squadron was formed in Townsville on 31 March 1944. Equipped with Short Sunderland flying boats the Squadron flew transport flights between Townsville and New Guinea.

After re-locating to Port Moresby in July 1944 the Squadron also flew transport flights to other islands in the South-West Pacific. In addition to its primary transport role, aircraft from No. 40 Squadron performed occasional air sea rescue tasks. Following the end of the war the Squadron assisted in the repatriation of Australian personnel back to Australia before moving to Rathmines in March 1946 where it was disbanded on 19 June 1946.